Places

expand collapse Search criteria


Knigths' Tower in Biestrzykowo

ul. Lipowa 7, Biestrzyków

The Gothic tower in Biestrzyków, first mentioned in 1411, probably dates from the 14th century. In the Middle Ages, it was owned by the Chapter of Wrocław. Initially, the tower had two storeys and a...

Jougs – an instrument of imprisonment

Przecławice

An example of the medieval jougs is a metal hoop attached by a shorter or longer chain directly to the pillory or to the walls of the town hall or the church. Neck bracket is assumed to be on the...

Jougs – an instrument of imprisonment

Żórawina

Located at the entrance to the church, the iron hoops of shame called jougs were used to immobilize the hands or neck of a convict and locked with a padlock. They were an auxiliary device used to...

Jewish Cemetery

Strzelin

The Strzelin Jewish cemetery was founded in 1815 in the vicinity of the Catholic one. During World War II, Nazi slave laborers were buried here. In 1944, the cemetery was sold to the mayor of the...

Gallows

ul. ks. Jerzego Popiełuszki, Kąty Wrocławskie

The gallows located on the outskirts of town were built ca. 1578 at the request of Noe Pordens, the then Kąty mayor. It was built after a thunderbolt hit the oak on which criminals had been hanged....

Fragments of medieval fortifications an gunpowder tower

Strzelin

The construction of the city walls began just after Strzelin received town rights in 1292. The location documents were issued by Duke Bolko I of Świdnica who, to ensure the safety of the new town,...

Fortifications and The Lower Gate Niemcza

Niemcza

The present walls of broken rock come from the 15th century, when the earlier wooden fortifications were rebuilt after being destroyed in the Hussite wars. Approx. 30% of the former walls have...

Former mill complex

ul. Brzegowa 2, Strzelin

During archaeological works carried out due to the renovation of the bridge on Młynówka it was discovered that the mill could have been older than the town itself. The present mill dates from 1864,...

Former Evangelical church

Rynek 2, Kąty Wrocławskie

The first Evangelical church in Kąty was built ca. 1600. Most of the townsmen were Evangelical, however, the city was under the Wrocław bishops, who decided to tear down the building. During the...